New Guy - Bayes, MS MTRG help please?

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Fri Sep 17 20:59:52 IST 2004

<x-html>
<head>
</head>
Greg Deputy wrote:
    <pre wrap="">anyone point
    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">me in the direction of some troubleshooting info for the MailScanner
MTRG stuff, or is there any info I can provide to answer
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">questions on
    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">what might be broken?

      </pre>
    <pre wrap=""> From memory the MailScanner MRTG package is designed to work
with Sendmail so not all the reports 'work'

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Ok, that explains it, thanks.  Is there any way to get it to work with
postfix, or should I just look for a MTRG package/configuration that
does postix?
  </pre>
As I say, 'from memory' (And I suspect that is flawed as on further
thinking I may be getting confused with Vispan) I don't and haven't
used MRTG to monitor MailScanner. It ought to be possible. Looking at
the README file in the source it should be possible to get some form of
output. If I get time I'll have a look further, unless Kevin himself is
  <pre wrap="">
  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">spamassassin is working, its bayes stuff, etc, but cant seem
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">to get it
    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">to work.  From the command line everything appears like the bayes
filtering is ok, but it never seems to hit through mailscanner.

      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Check the permissions of the bayes_* files. They must be rw
by the postfix user

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Ok, trying that.  Yup, files are not permissioned correctly.  Fixed,
waiting to see if it works now.
  </pre>
  <pre wrap="">
  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Providing you have set up MailScanner with Postfix using the
'Hold queue' method (as described) then you shouldn't have
any problems. Search the archives you will see this has been
covered before (Some more emotionally than others ;-) )

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I set it up as Tim referenced at the page

 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/postfix.shtml">http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/postfix.shtml</a>

Is that the 'hold queue' method you refer to?
  </pre>
Yes!<br>
  <pre wrap="">

Thanks for the help!