Truncated long subject lines

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 08:46:24 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
This is intentional behaviour, I'm afraid.
If you get an attachment that happens not to have a filename, Outlook (and
OE) give it a filename which is a copy of the subject line. So all the
exploits that you can perform in attachment filenames can also be triggered
by putting the nasty filename in the subject line of the message instead.

So I have to do a load of mangling on the subject line (particularly very
long subject lines) to avoid exploits against the attachments.

Blame Microsoft for that one :(

--
Julian Field