MailScanner insecurity with Postfix

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at RFA.ORG
Wed Sep 15 19:17:10 IST 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 08:51:34AM +0100, Julian Field wrote:
> At 08:21 15/09/2004, you wrote:
> >Someone recently mentioned on the postfix-users list that Mailscanner is
> >not secure to run with Postfix.   I can't recal whom this was, but
> >perhaps someone here could comment on this?
>
> The Postfix author doesn't like MailScanner, as I dared to use his software
> in a way he hadn't intended. This has been discussed many times in the
> past, there will be mentions in the archives. Though the "not secure" tends
> to imply that at least they have gotten over their rant about "it doesn't
> work" when quite plainly it does.

We've been using Postfix with MailScanner for well over a year now.
There has never been a problem between the two applications for us. We
process 35k-50k messages per day for ~300 users on an athlon 1.3 GHz
box.

I have a good deal of respect for Wietse Venema's work on Postfix. The
documentation is very very good. For anyone who hasn't, it's worthwhile
to take a look at these docs even if you don't intend to ever use it as
your MTA. I learned a lot about email just from studying this stuff:

Previous versions had a great diagram that showed how all the pieces of
the system fit together and the various routes a given messages could
take.

Having said that though, Wietse has a reputation for being a bit
grouchy. Julian is a very much more personable guy and much more
approachable. :) I wouldn't even think of asking Wietse to change
something for fear of getting my head bitten off[0]. MailScanner and
this list are great, regardless of what Wietse thinks of them.

-Eric Rz.

[0] disclaimer: I haven't had reason to approach Wietse about anything
either. This is intended with tongue in cheek. I would be intimidated if
I ever had a reason to contact him, nonetheless.