spam getting through.

Richard Lynch rich at MAIL.WVNET.EDU
Wed Sep 15 17:06:32 IST 2004

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight Solutions wrote:

>>The spam.lists.conf file defines the mapping from "Spam List"
>>name in MailScanner.conf to DNS domain name. The one you
>>should definitely add to this list is
>>SBL+XBL sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
>>
>>and then in MailScanner.conf, use this:
>>Spam List = ORDB-RBL SBL+XBL
>>I would recommend not using spamcop.net for outright tagging,
>>it has too many false positives. It works well in a
>>well-balanced (e.g. default) SpamAssassin setup though.
>>

>Although I would agree about spamcop I would tend to disagree with the use
>of SBL+XBL directly in MailScanner.conf
>
>I ran a little test on one of our servers the other day for a laugh.
>
>The test was totally random and not that scientific, but of the 20 odd
>emails that had been scored on spamhaus I found that at least 2 of them
>should not have been blocked outright

I ended up totally disabling RBLs in MailScanner and letting
Spamassassin do it.  I just didn't like RBLs having that much
authority.  That is, a hit in a RBL makes the message spam, period.  In
SpamAssissin it just contributes to the score so a RBL hit isn't enough,
by itself, to cause a rejection -- yet, being in a RBL still means
something.  But, different sites have different requirements so I
understand people using RBLs in MS directly.

-- Rich