Bayes not running

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Mon Sep 13 16:39:20 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 10:47 AM 9/13/2004, Alex Laslavic wrote:
>I just rebuilt our mailscanner server on a new machine, and in the process
>upgraded to the newest versions.  Everything is running fine, but I have
>noticed that Bayes is not running.  Spamassassin --lint successfully ties
>to the bayes databases, but when MailScanner is running bayes is not being
>used.  I cannot find any error messages in the logs, to give me a clue
>here.
>
>Suggestions on where I need to look to see why bayes is not running?

Does your spam.assassin.prefs.conf contain a "bayes_path" statement?

If so, Mailscanner is going to use that directory, whereas the SA command
line tools will use their defaults.

I for one find this to be a nuisance, so I've commented out the bayes_path
statement in spam.assassin.prefs.conf, and allow my bayes DB's to live in
root's home directory.

As an alternative you can pass the --dbpath option to sa-learn while training.

However, getting the spamassassin command-line tool to recognize the new
path without using a site-wide setting in /etc/mail/spamassassin can be
tricky. And if you do make it site-wide, you need to make the bayes files
world-writable, or ensure no SA tools are ever executed as any user other
than root.