definition: messages per month?

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at RFA.ORG
Fri Sep 10 22:31:46 IST 2004

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 09:31:32AM +0100, Martin Hepworth wrote:
> Eric
> I always use the 'envelopes' per month version myself...ie how many
> actual messages (qf,df pairs - or whatever your MTA uses to store
> messages in the queue) are processed.
> Otherwise the stats go up the wall - hey my MS processed 2 billion
> messages last month, when actually it only  processed two MTA queue file
> message pairs!!!
> I'm not concerned that a message had multiple recipients, I'm concerned
> about the actual number of messages, which has a direct correlation to
> the performance and size of the hardware required.

Ok. this helps. One other concern with regard to hardware and
performance ... imapd/pop access is on the same server here as
smtp/mailscanner. In other's experience is user access to mail spools
a performance concern? If so, then it might be interesting to keep
counts for messages spooled to users' mailboxes and actually accessed or
downloaded by MUAs as well as counts of messages scanned.

I haven't seen anyone address the question of false positive/negative
stats, yet. If someone claims "our mailscanner install blocks 98.6% of
spam", how can they actually know that? Can you verify that every user
has reported every miss in either direction?

Or, are people quoting percentages like that based on sending a corpus
of known ham/spam through the system?

-Eric Rz.