powerpoint files not getting through

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Fri Sep 10 14:48:55 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 09:40 AM 9/10/2004, Curtis Maurand wrote:
>   I'm having trouble getting powerpoint files through the mailscanner.
>The filename.rules.conf file has:
>
>allow    \.ppt$      -      -
>
>I'm using MailScanner 4.30.3 with f-prot.  I've found f-prot will block
>almost anything with a script no matter how you set it.

If f-prot calls it a virus, the settings in filename.rules.conf are
irrelevant.

In the context of filename.rules.conf "allow" means "don't block solely on
the basis of name" not "bypass the virus scanner".

As for f-prot, I run Command AV (which is based on the f-prot engine) and
clamav in parallel. I've not had any trouble like this with either scanner,
and it seems odd to me that you're having trouble.

What reasons is MailScanner citing when it blocks them?