Slightly OT ! Increasing the size of the Ramdisk on Redhat 3.0

Denis Croombs denis at CROOMBS.ORG
Tue Sep 7 13:57:54 IST 2004

>> I am trying to increase the size of the ramdisk on the
>> Redhat3.0/Whiteboxlinux3.0 system
>> I have added the following ramdisk_size=256000 to the /etc/grub.conf as
>> below:-
> >
> >  kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.9 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
> >ramdisk_size=256000
> >        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-20.9.img

> I can't see what this has to do with MailScanner but I think this will
> only be effective if the initrd is built to use a ramdisk that size.
>
> I can't think why you would want to do that.
I am working on a multifunction server Mail/Apache + + and the SCSI 15k rpm
disks are working 100% and I am going to try moving /tmp & other dirs/files
to the ram disk to try and see if that helps. If it does we will take it
further (putting some services on another system is currently NOT an option
but is what needs to be done)
The /tmp is at least 128mb alone so my need for 512mb

Thanks

Denis

believed to be clean.

Marvin the E-Mail scanner