RPM-based install package for ClamAV and SpamAssassin 3

Remco Barendse mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO
Mon Sep 6 18:34:32 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Julian Field wrote:

> At 17:38 06/09/2004, you wrote:

>>> I have just updated the package to include his RPM instead of building it
>>> from source.
>>> No need to use the SRPM as far as I can see.
>>
>> I never tried the RPMS, I only tried the SRPMS. I guess if you are making
>> the script compile SA it would be equal work to have it recompile clam
>> too? Personally I prefer a recompiled package because if you have
>> optimizations for the compilation (cpu type, number of cpu's etc).
>> hopefully clam will do something usefull with it.
>
> Agreed, there may be very small differences. But as it's not a Perl module
> package, there is no actual need to recompile it. It's only Perl modules
> where this is absolutely necessary.
>
>> But I guess an rpm should work fine too
>
> Should work fine. Agreed it will be a generic i386 binary. If you are after
> the last ounce out of Clam and you have a system which can make a
> significant difference by targeting a different architecture, then you will
> have to recompile it for your own system. But this affects very few people,
> and they are the ones who are quite competent enough to easily do it for
> themselves, and just tell my script not to install ClamAV at all (with
> "--noclam").

Cool :)

I'm not running that high spec spectacular boxes but I am running a
rebuild of RedHat Enterprise Linux. RHEL has an exotic kernel to say the
least, basically it's a 2.4 kernel with everything from 2.6 kernels
backported to it. I'm a little bit more careful with such a setup not to
screw up (I'm particularly good at screwing up) :)