RPM-based install package for ClamAV and SpamAssassin 3

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 6 17:56:04 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 17:38 06/09/2004, you wrote:
>On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Julian Field wrote:
>
>>At 15:49 06/09/2004, you wrote:
>>>- clamav is not installed from RPM?? (Dag Wieers is making excellent
>>>.src.rpms for clam) http://dag.wieers.com/packages/clamav/
>>
>>I have just updated the package to include his RPM instead of building it
>>from source.
>>No need to use the SRPM as far as I can see.
>
>I never tried the RPMS, I only tried the SRPMS. I guess if you are making
>the script compile SA it would be equal work to have it recompile clam
>too? Personally I prefer a recompiled package because if you have
>optimizations for the compilation (cpu type, number of cpu's etc).
>hopefully clam will do something usefull with it.

Agreed, there may be very small differences. But as it's not a Perl module
package, there is no actual need to recompile it. It's only Perl modules
where this is absolutely necessary.

>But I guess an rpm should work fine too

Should work fine. Agreed it will be a generic i386 binary. If you are after
the last ounce out of Clam and you have a system which can make a
significant difference by targeting a different architecture, then you will
have to recompile it for your own system. But this affects very few people,
and they are the ones who are quite competent enough to easily do it for
themselves, and just tell my script not to install ClamAV at all (with
"--noclam").
--
Julian Field