postfix installation

Juan Pablo Abuyeres jpabuyer at TECNOERA.COM
Mon Sep 6 16:57:58 IST 2004

<x-html>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Hi,<BR>
<BR>
I've installed Fedora Core 2, and I'm installing Postfix with MailScanner. The point is, I've followed the directives at <A HREF="http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/postfix.shtml">http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/postfix.shtml</A> to perform the installation. But I have a question about point 3, which says:<BR>
<BR>
Make sure you have the chroot jail set up in /var/spool/postfix. You should be able to see &quot;etc&quot;, &quot;usr&quot; and &quot;lib&quot; directories inside /var/spool/postfix). If you haven't got the chroot jail setup already, then look in the &quot;examples&quot; directory of the Postfix documentation and you will find a script in there to set up it up for your operating system. If you can't find that, then see the &quot;Problems or Errors&quot; section further down this page.<BR>
<BR>
Is it totally necesary to do that? I missed that part, and MailScanner seems to be working just fine, so I don't know what would happen if I don't chroot Postfix. Or is it an option to enhance security?<BR>
<BR>
<TABLE CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0" WIDTH="100%">
<TR>
<TD>
-- <BR>
Juan Pablo Abuyeres &lt;<A HREF="mailto:jpabuyer at tecnoera.com"><U>jpabuyer at tecnoera.com</U></A>&gt;