Force local delivery?

Remco Barendse mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO
Fri Sep 3 11:10:38 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
> Kevin Spicer scribbled on Thursday, September 02, 2004 10:21 AM:
>
>> On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 20:18, Remco Barendse wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I am using MailScanner in front of exchange and am using the
>>> mailertable feature to forward all mail to the local ip of the
>>> exchange server.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to prevent some adresses from being delivered by
>>> mailertable rules?
>>>
>>> We have several mail addresses that are not in use anymore but still
>>> get loads of spam. Instead of wasting cpu cycles on that i would
>>> rather have mail for such addresses delivered to my local spam
>>> learning account :)
>>
>> Not sure it will do the trick, but have you tried the virtusertable
>> feature of sendmail for this?
>>

> Good call Kevin, that's exactly how I do it. Although I don't really need
> any more spam for learning so I simply refuse the connection with:
>
> EXuser at mydomain.com     error:nouser No Longer an Employee
>
> One could just as easily use:
>
> EXuser at mydomain.com     spambox
> EXuser2 at mydomain.com    spambox
> ...etc
>
> This assumes you have a local user named spambox.

I just tried it, it didn't work. I think that mailertable takes precedence
over virtusertable. The mail gets delivered according to the destination
as defined for that domain to the exchange server.

It probably will work if you are delivering the mail locally (which I am
not) and sending it onwards.

> Keep in mind this can get tedious quickly if you have a high turnover rate
> at your company. :)

As I said I didn't intend to use this for former employees' mail boxes.
Some addresses that never actually existed for this domain are
consistently being spammed. I though I'd use these addresses to train the
bayesian database, they will only get 100% spam as nobody else will send
mail to these addresses :)

> Don't forget to makemap hash the virtualusertable and restart sendmail (or
> Mailscanner if appropiate).

Did that and also double checked if virtusertable feature was included in
my sendmail conf.

> HTH Good luck!
> Ken

Thanks!