Force local delivery?

Ken Goods KGoods at AIAINSURANCE.COM
Thu Sep 2 19:41:29 IST 2004

Ken Goods scribbled on Thursday, September 02, 2004 10:52 AM:

> Kevin Spicer scribbled on Thursday, September 02, 2004 10:21 AM:
>
>> On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 20:18, Remco Barendse wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I am using MailScanner in front of exchange and am using the
>>> mailertable feature to forward all mail to the local ip of the
>>> exchange server.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to prevent some adresses from being delivered by
>>> mailertable rules?
>>>
>>> We have several mail addresses that are not in use anymore but still
>>> get loads of spam. Instead of wasting cpu cycles on that i would
>>> rather have mail for such addresses delivered to my local spam
>>> learning account :)
>>
>> Not sure it will do the trick, but have you tried the virtusertable
>> feature of sendmail for this?
>>

> Good call Kevin, that's exactly how I do it. Although I don't really
> need any more spam for learning so I simply refuse the connection
> with:
>
> EXuser at mydomain.com     error:nouser No Longer an Employee
>
> One could just as easily use:
>
> EXuser at mydomain.com     spambox
> EXuser2 at mydomain.com    spambox
> ...etc
>
> This assumes you have a local user named spambox.
>
> Keep in mind this can get tedious quickly if you have a high turnover
> rate at your company. :)
>
> Don't forget to makemap hash the virtualusertable and restart
> sendmail (or Mailscanner if appropiate).
>
> HTH Good luck!
> Ken

Remco,
Just to clarify...
I just went in and looked at my sendmail config again and it seems a while
back I decided that the access.db would be the way to go for me since I
didn't even want to send anything back to the originating server so I mades
entries in access like:

EXuser at mydomain.com     DISCARD
EXuser2 at mydomain.com     DISCARD
EXuser3 at mydomain.com     DISCARD

This, in effect, drops them on the floor.

But I'm almost certain that you can alias your exusers to a "spambox" using
my second example above in the virtusertable. Let us know how it goes.

Thx

Ken Goods
Network Administrator
AIA Insurance, Inc.