whitelisting not working with "always report"?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Sep 2 17:32:55 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 17:25 02/09/2004, you wrote:
>Julian Field wrote on         Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:57:37 +0100:
> > Correct. That's the definition of "always" :-)
>
>Hm, I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but I think it
>works not the way one would it expect to work.
>
> > # Do you want to always include the Spam Report in the SpamCheck
> > # header, even if the message wasn't spam?
>
>That implies the purpose of always adding the report: I want a report when
>it was not spam, so that I can see why it wasn't spam or whatever I want to
>see else. This doesn't imply that you want MS to *force* a spam scan
>although normally there wouldn't be a scan. It just means to add the report
>which is available from scanning, anyway. That's the only meaning which
>makes sense to me, do others disagree?

I clearly need to change the comment to explain it more clearly. In my
view, "always" means exactly that, for all messages (unless you tie it to a
ruleset of course).

> > If you don't always want the SA report, then either turn this option off,
> > or set it to a ruleset so you get it sometimes and not others.
>
>I want the spam report when the message got scanned, I don't want to force
>a scan for nothing. Does this mean I had to copy the whitelist.rules to
>another ruleset for "always add report" and change all "yes" to "no" and
>"default no" to "yes"?

Yes.

What do other people think of this? I don't like changing the existing
behaviour of a setting unless I absolutely have to, it upsets people who
already have it working the way they want it to. I obviously don't want to
break existing installations.
--
Julian Field