Enhancement request 'message too large'

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri Oct 29 07:51:50 IST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 00:23, Remco Barendse wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Kevin Spicer wrote:
> > Why not just set the same limit in sendmail, so that the sender at least
> > gets a reject message.
>
> MailScanner generates an error message too :)
>
> I could use sendmail but most of the `oversized' messages we actually
> want/need. It's just that Mr. Gates thought it would be useful not to fill
> exchange with large messages.

One thing that is worth mentioning in this context...

I set a limit of 10M in sendmail after someone send a 100M zip file to
one of our users.  Unfortunately my system didn't much like this, due
probably to the fact I'm using tmpfs for the work directory.  Whilst the
system continued to process mail this one message never completed
processing (and kept the CPU at 100% whilst it tried).  In the end I had
to delete it.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000