Fortress Systems / SMGateway?

Jan-Peter Koopmann Jan-Peter.Koopmann at SECEIDOS.DE
Fri Oct 29 06:59:06 IST 2004

Hi,

> Long term though I 'd like to get the product running on
> FreeBSD, even if I have to install things by hand (I prefer

Well but what would be the benefit of using the commercial product then?
If you have to install everything by hand then probably the automatic
updates will not work either. So where is the point?

What's wrong with using the standard FreeBSD version? If there is
anything I can do to make the port better then please let me know your
suggestions! :-)

Steve, I can see the point in making a MS based commercial product but
the big benefits for end users probably are things like easy install,
automatic updates, configuration support etc. With easy install and
automatic updates not working (just an educated guess) on FreeBSD you
are "left" with support which is a strong argument for itself. On the
other hand: Someone "good" enough to install a FreeBSD box, MailScanner
etc. in the first place should (!) be good enough to get it configured
with FAQ, MAQ and this wounderful list.

I think a MS based appliance would be a great thing to have. At least
for customers and not for us consultants... :-)

Kind regards,
  JP