Bayes dir permissions

Greg Deputy greg at BLASTZONE.COM
Tue Oct 26 20:33:17 IST 2004

I had this same problem.  The postfix user needs to have rights.
-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Terran Wright
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 11:21 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Bayes dir permissions

Guy's

running Postfix+MS+SA3

what are the correct permissions for the bayes dir and files

I get the following error when I try to update rules_dujour:

Lint output: Cannot open bayes databases
/etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes_* R/O: tie failed:
Cannot open bayes databases /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes_* R/O: tie
failed:
Failed to run DNS_FROM_AHBL_RHSBL RBL SpamAssassin test, skipping:
        (Can't call method "bgsend" on an undefined value at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 112.
)
I've seen in the archives where two approaches are suggested. One
to create a bayes group and add apache and postfix to the group and
the one below.

<snip>
I cannot see the idea in adding both postfix and apache to your
'bayes'
group, since postfix already owns the files!

Instead you could have done:

chown postfix.apache bayes_*
chmod 660 bayes_*
<snip>

Which is the best? currently permission is:
-rw-rw----    1 root     apache        144 Sep 23 11:54
bayes_journal
-rw-------    1 root     apache       8922 Sep 23 11:51 bayes.mutex
-rw-rw----    1 root     apache     184320 Sep 23 11:51 bayes_seen