Disclaimer Attachment- ONLY ONCE

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Tue Oct 26 16:53:12 IST 2004

Venkata Achanta wrote:

>> if someone sends out a e-mail and get a repsonse and if he responds
>> again the disclaimer is getting attached again.if this happens X
>> number of times we end up having disclaimer attached X number of
>> time as well which looks ugly(better than spam though :-)) )

The problem here isn't MailScanner - it's people too lazy to edit their
previous text, including the disclaimers.  Just delete the text that isn't
relivant.

I suppose this is an outgrowth of top-posting where people no longer deal
w/the full body of email.  Still, it's silly to blame the MTA when it's the
email client and user that's to blame.

However, the way email is supposed to work, is that one can define a
signature such that it isn't included in replies by seperating it from the
body of the message with two dashes and a space (such as under "...Kevin"
below).  A reasonably modern email client will not include anything below
that in a reply.  Therefore, if you edited the disclaimer and delimited it
with a line containing "-- " (sans quotes) before anything else, then it
shouldn't be included when you reply...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500