Update from 4.28.5-2

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USHERBROOKE.CA
Tue Oct 26 16:46:55 IST 2004

Julian Field wrote:

>I would advise you wait for the 1st November 4.35 stable release. 4.34 was a
>bit bumpy...

Yesterday I upgraded an old SA to 3.0.1 running on MS 4.29.7 (string
found in the old /usr/sbin/MailScanner).  The SA upgrade went smoothly.

But when I restarted MS, it wouldn't stop restarting new children
without processing any email.  I checked the logs and there was nothing
special.  I then decided to upgrade MS right away...

I went with 4.34.8-4 but it wouldn't install on my RHEL 3 system.  At
that point I decided to go with 4.35.5-1, even though it is an unstable
release...

I had so many problems making it work on my system I was beginning to
feel uncomfortable (this was on a production server: I was then running
with only 1 MS server instead of 2 as usual).  I tried to reinstall many
Perl modules using CPAN, tried to re-run install.sh many times, removed
some Perl modules manually (rm)...  and finally I got it right.

Don't know what I finally did to get it running OK (too many changes at
once)...

This makes me uneasy with the most recent releases...  Once you start
upgrading the Perl modules, it's more difficult to get back to an older
MS version.  At one point I thought my system was completely screwed
beyond any hope...

I had strange messages like (I logged every install.sh attempt in a
script file):
Oh good, module Convert::BinHex version 1.119 is already installed.
error: Failed dependencies:
        perl(Convert::BinHex) is needed by perl-MIME-tools-5.413-4
Oh good, module Compress::Zlib version 1.33 is already installed.
error: Failed dependencies:
        perl(Compress::Zlib) is needed by perl-Archive-Zip-1.13-1

Denis

--
   _
  °v°   Denis Beauchemin, analyste