Adding 2+2 and getting 5

Hendrik den Hartog hden at KCBBS.GEN.NZ
Mon Oct 18 23:07:50 IST 2004

Recently I wrote to the list regarding a problem, namely
that MailScanner was locking up our server [server freezing
up]

Seems I had incorrectly jumped to a wrong conclusion. Path
followed = Box locking up >> Resd Archives >>see previous
mail regarding MS and CPUs running at 100% locking up systems,
Symptoms fit >>Blame MS.

However, I need to retract that comment. It was NOT MS that
was causing the system freeze ups. Temporarily moved MS to
another [far less resourced and older] server, running flawlessly!

In the mean time, the original server has frozen at times.
So, apologies Julian for blamming MS - my bad!

So am currently building a replacement from scratch on a new
box. Using CenTOS 3.3. Went better after I sorted the 'UTF-8'
setting 'as documented'<G>,  but had some grief with Digest::SHA1,
several perl modules wouldn't pass 'make test'. Trying to update
SHAI via cpan ended with 'up to date' responses. Had to do an
'ugly hack' to reinstall it, but it seemed to have worked OK.

Q How can I 'feed' the new box some test mail to test it out?

Cheers!
Hendrik