Some new-user questions

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 09:30:35 IST 2004

At 09:14 18/10/2004, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm new to MailScanner. Currently I'm evaluating whether it's usable for
>our needs. What I've seen until now, it looks very good. Esp. the levels
>of indirection for rules (as Julian descripted last week) are very fine!
>
>Nevertheless I have some questions:
>
>1) www.postfix.org says there are problems with duplicate or truncted
>    mails. I found a thread in this mailinglist dicussion that these
>    problems have been solved. So, is this statement still valid?
>
>    (If this is outdated, I suggest tasking postfix people to remove this
>    statement.)

Thousands of people use them both with no problems at all. The Postfix
author has near-religious objections to MailScanner. I didn't interface to
it in the way that he intended everyone to, I found a faster way. So he
doesn't like me or MailScanner. Such is life :-)

>2) Why does MailScanner not use postifx's 'content_filter'
>    functionality? I understand, that content_filter would require to
>    implement a smtpd, but currently MailScanner uses unsupported direct
>    access to the Q-files (acccoring to www.postfix.org).

Because it is relatively slow and it's not how I chose to do it.

>3) Why does MailScanner start the MTA (postfix) by itself? Normaly those
>    jobs are left over to the SysV-init stuff.

Most of the MTA's I support have to be started in a very specific way to
operate with MailScanner, so I start the MTA in the MailScanner init.d
script so it is the same as all the others I support.

>4) Where to send bug-reports, suggestions and enhancement-requests?

This mailing list.

>5) Minor Bug: F-Secure 4.61 for Linux installs it's config file into
>    /opt/f-secure/fsav/etc/fsav.conf, while f-secure-wrapper only checks
>    for /etc/fsav.conf.

This is fixed in the latest release. It was only changed very recently. The
very latest f-secure-wrapper is attached to this message for you.

>6) Can anybody please clean up the FAQ-O-mat. There are lots of empty
>    questions ("New item") and some answers are not readable since some
>    lines are about 400 charakters long. Thanks!

Anyone out there have a few minutes to do this for me please?

    [ Part 2, Application/OCTET-STREAM (Name: "f-secure-wrapper")  3.7KB. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 3: "Attached Text" ]

--
Julian Field