Some new-user questions

Hartmut Goebel h.goebel at GOEBEL-CONSULT.DE
Mon Oct 18 09:14:48 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hello,

I'm new to MailScanner. Currently I'm evaluating whether it's usable for
our needs. What I've seen until now, it looks very good. Esp. the levels
of indirection for rules (as Julian descripted last week) are very fine!

Nevertheless I have some questions:

1) www.postfix.org says there are problems with duplicate or truncted
    mails. I found a thread in this mailinglist dicussion that these
    problems have been solved. So, is this statement still valid?

    (If this is outdated, I suggest tasking postfix people to remove this
    statement.)

2) Why does MailScanner not use postifx's 'content_filter'
    functionality? I understand, that content_filter would require to
    implement a smtpd, but currently MailScanner uses unsupported direct
    access to the Q-files (acccoring to www.postfix.org).

3) Why does MailScanner start the MTA (postfix) by itself? Normaly those
    jobs are left over to the SysV-init stuff.

4) Where to send bug-reports, suggestions and enhancement-requests?

5) Minor Bug: F-Secure 4.61 for Linux installs it's config file into
    /opt/f-secure/fsav/etc/fsav.conf, while f-secure-wrapper only checks
    for /etc/fsav.conf.

    Possible solutions: a) Change installtion instructions to add a link.
    b) Change the wrapper to test for multiple directories.

6) Can anybody please clean up the FAQ-O-mat. There are lots of empty
    questions ("New item") and some answers are not readable since some
    lines are about 400 charakters long. Thanks!

--
Schönen Gruß - Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel             | IT-Security -- effizient |
| h.goebel at goebel-consult.de | www.goebel-consult.de    |