Maybe OT - postfix and catch-all accounts

Brian Parish clicknow at SWIFTDSL.COM.AU
Tue Oct 12 00:11:52 IST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 08:56, Michele Neylon : Blacknight Solutions
wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 08:50 +1000, Brian Parish wrote:
> > This could be a purely postfix issue, so apologies if it's a bit OT here.
> >
> > One of the domains I host requires a catch-all mail account - yes, I
> > know - spam collector.  I understand that the way this is done is to
> > put:
> >
> > @domain mailbox
> >
> > in /etc/postfix/virtual then postmap virtual
> >
> > But I find with this defined that some properly defined addresses for
> > other domains end up having their mail directed to the catch-all.  I
> > can't work out a pattern, but monitoring shows an incoming message to:
> >
> > valid-address at valid-domain being scanned by MailScanner, found clean and
> > directed to the catch-all.  Other addresses in the same domain work
> > correctly.
> >
> > By commenting out the catch-all account and running postmap again, these
> > addresses work correctly without other alteration.
> >
> > Have I found a bug or a feature I don't understand?
> >
> > TIA
> > Brian
> It sounds like you are doing something wrong :)
> I run postfix on a uml for a limited number of domains and one of them
> has a catchall.
> In main.cf:
> virtual_alias_domains = domain1 domain2
> In virtual
> foo at domain1 user1
> foo2 at domain1 user2
> @domain2 catchalluser
>
> Works fine :)

Yes Michele,

I think you are right, except that my setup is exactly as you describe
and *most* e-mail is correctly handled.  There seems to be nothing to
differentiate an account that works and one that gets bypassed.

I'll have to set up a test bed for this and play a bit more.  Thanks for
at least verifying that I am not totally off the track here.

cheers
Brian