The Party Line on Bayes settings?

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Wed Oct 6 21:01:18 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> Julian et. al,
>
> Could you say a few words about the recommended settings for using
> Bayes with SA 3.0 and the latest MailScanner?  I had the common
> problem of bayes_toks.expire files piling up after upgrading to
> SA 3.0.  I read thru the FAQ on Bayes lock files
> (http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/303.html)
> and followed this advice.  I used to have (with MS 4.33 and SA 2.64)
> Rebuild Bayes Every = 86400, but I now use the factory default of
> zero.  I have a cron job that runs the attached shell script once
> a day, to learn spam/ham and do the force-expire/sync, which came
> out of list posting months ago.

Do you have the original local.cf in /etc/mail/spamassassin or do you
have it symlinked to spam.assassin.prefs.conf? Supposedly the
bayes_auto_expire setting is only honored in local.cf so if you have
that one symlinked to spam.assassin.prefs.conf, like I do, you're ok.

I did that so I wouldn't have to bother with the -C and -p options all
the time so that's a bonus.

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun