Why aren't RBL checks running?

Tom Combs combs at magnet.fsu.edu
Tue Oct 5 21:08:39 IST 2004

Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up an email server using MS 4.34.8-1
and Spamassassin 3.0. For some reason, the RBL checks don't appear
to be running.

In my MailScanner.conf file I have:

   Spam List = spamcop.net

in spam.lists.conf there is:

   spamcop.net                  bl.spamcop.net.

 and in spam.assassin.prefs.conf, I have

   skip_rbl_checks 1

 On my other server, I'm use to seeing messages in the log file like:

    RBL checks: i917AbsS018169 found in spamcop.net

 and

   .... to magnet.fsu.edu is spam, spamcop.net

 But I'm not seeing any of this on the new server and I do have the spam logging
 turned on.

 My old server is a Solaris box and my new server is a RedHat AS 3.0 system so
 I'm wondering if it is something peculiar between the two OS environments.
 Since I really don't know how the RBL checks worked, I turned off iptables
 in case I was blocking the traffic. That doesn't seem to help.

 Does anyone have any suggestions as what could be wrong? Is there a way
 to test the RBLs other then looking for results in the log files?

 Thanks a bunch!     --Tom

Tom Combs                                      E-mail: combs at magnet.fsu.edu
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory        Phone:  (850) 644-1657
1800 E. Paul Dirac Drive                       Tallahassee, FL 32310