change from sendmail to postfix - messages now stuck in hold

Brian Parish clicknow at SWIFTDSL.COM.AU
Mon Oct 4 01:26:50 IST 2004

I have two servers running MailScanner - home and office.  The home
machine was installed from scratch using a single instance of postfix as
documented on the MS site and works fine.  The office machine was
running an old version of MS and used two instances of sendmail.  This
also worked, but not as well, so I moved the office machine to postfix
and installed the latest stable version of MS.

Without MS running and without the:

line in postfix's main.cf file, mail is processed in both directions,
but with this line in action and MS running, mail is received into the
hold directory and never delivered.

I changed /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner to read:

MTA=postfix

and

POSTFIXINCF=/etc/postfix   # Directory containing incoming conf
POSTFIXOUTCF=/etc/postfix  # Directory containing outgoing conf

MailScanner.conf is set to:

Run As User = postfix
Run As Group = postfix
Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/hold
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/incoming

Permissions on postfix spool directories are set correctly.

All this stuff is identical on the two servers.

On the one not working I get a repeating message in /var/log/mail/info:

MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.29.7 starting...
Using Custom Function file
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MyExample.pm

and I see a number of defunct processes.

Any bells ringing out there?

TIA
Brian