OT - Which Linux Now?

James Gray james at GRAYONLINE.ID.AU
Mon Oct 4 01:18:27 IST 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:09 am, Hendrik den Hartog wrote:
> Our current MailScanner runs on Linux 8. I'm looking at
> rebuilding our firewall.
>
> Any recommnedations as to which Linux flavour to migrate
> to now that RedHat has changed?
>
> Cheers!
> Hendrik

This could border on a holy war....but I'll bite ;)  I rin MailScanner on
Debian (Woody + backports.org) and also on FreeBSD.  Personally, I find
Debian's packaging system far more elegant for remote admin that BSD's
ports.  However, that could also be a familiarity thing too - fBSD'ers
don't flame me :)

Debian doesn't have any "official" support providers so is harder to upsell
through the food chain, SuSE Enterprise Linux and RedHat Enterprise Server
both have mature and well designed support structures if that's important
(and MailScanner is packaged AFAIK for both platforms).

If you're planning on running AMD64 hardware (Athlon64/Opteron), SuSE EL is
the best choice IMHO.  For x86, go with RedHat ES.  If you run a mixed
environment (Sparc/x86/PowerPC etc) Debian is a good choice due to it's
consistent installation, layout and management tools across all platforms.

Cheers,

James