Error message about Socket.pm when starting MailScanner

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Oct 3 12:12:14 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
The one that does it is Sys::Hostname::Long. This has been mentioned a few
times before, but you probably need to know the module name to find it in
the mailing list archive.
You need to find and edit this module, or it will reset your hostname every
time it runs, which is "A Bad Thing(tm)".

See
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0409&L=mailscanner&P=R13127&I=-1&X=5613951EE2DF4A9399&Y=jkf%40ecs%2Esoton%2Eac%2Euk
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0410&L=mailscanner&P=R5416&I=-1
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0409&L=mailscanner&P=R95109&I=-1

or search the archive for "--fqdn".

At 11:56 03/10/2004, you wrote:
>Post-mortem evaluation of this incident might be worth noting.
>
>Eventually the problem had nothing to do with the perl version. When
>installing an optional spamassassing perl module (Net::Ident I believe), a
>'hostname --fqdn' was done to find out the hostname.
>
>On Solaris 'hostname --fqdn' actually sets the hostname to --fqdn. Hence the
>complaining of Socket.pm (--fqdn is an illegal name). Before the switch to
>the final perl version I opened up an extra ssh session to the server,
>noticing the --fqdn hostname in the command prompt and changed it back.
>
>That's why last time it did work. If I'd listened to Julians first mail to
>do a 'uname -a', I would have found out right away.
>
>So all Solaris folks out there, whatch out when you are installing
>additional perl modules for spamassassin.

>Before posting, read the MAQ (http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/) and

Julian Field