What does this mean? MailScanner: Could not analyze message

Brian Parish clicknow at SWIFTDSL.COM.AU
Tue Nov 30 04:33:40 GMT 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 03:03 pm, Brian Parish wrote:
> Today with no changes in configuration, senders to accounts hosted here
> started getting messages like this:
>
> ---------------------
>
> X-Univex Systems Pty Ltd-MailScanner: generated
>
> Our virus detector failed to completely analyse a message you sent:-
>   To: brian at univexsystems.com
>   Subject: The Application for Network Technician
>   Date: Tue Nov 30 07:08:13 2004
> Any parts of the message that could not be analysed will not have been
> delivered.
>
> If you are using Microsoft Outlook, we strongly recommend you change your
> outgoing message format from "Rich Text" to "HTML" or "Plain Text".
>
> 1) Click on the "Tools" menu and choose "Options..."
> 2) Got to the "Mail Format" tab
> 3) For message format, select "HTML" or "Plain text"
> 4) Click OK
>
> The virus detector said this about the message:
> Report: MailScanner: Could not analyze message
>

> --
> MailScanner
> Email Virus Scanner
> www.mailscanner.info
>
> ---------------------

Looking further at this, I see

Cannot parse /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/19497/5FA2B6715.header and ,
Can't locate object method "init" via package "MIME::Decoder::QuotedPrint"
at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/MIME/Decoder.pm line 173.

messages in the log as well as:

Compilation failed in require
at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/MIME/Decoder.pm line 171.

then lots of postfix messages warning of corrupt messages.

Looks like something has gone horribly wrong with my MailScanner install, but
without any known changes to the system.  I see similar messages reported in
another thread: "Sudden problem..."

Julian supplied a Message.pm file in response to this.  Should I install this
as well?  I am concerned about all these corrupt messages.

thanks again in advance
Brian