off topic: email forwarding assistance/guidance needed

lester lasad llasad1 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 24 20:12:13 GMT 2004

--- Bob Noordam <bno at SALVAGEBV.NL> wrote:

> > > enables you to map single
> recipients, so

> wanted

> > > /etc/mail/virtusertable:
> should
> > > send

> lester at xyz.com
> > > and
> fatal

> mail
> > > loops

> > > Do you have abc.com and xyz.com in your
> > > /etc/mail/local-host-names or
> > > /etc/mail/relay-domains?  They should be in
> > > relay-domains.  Also, make sure
> > > you hashed your virtusertable to db.
> > >
> > > You will need to restart sendmail to read the
> > > relay-domains after
> > > modification.
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >
> > abc.com and xyz.com are not in
> > /etc/mail/local-host-names.  But, they are in
> > /etc/mail/relay-domains
> >
> > forgive me, but I'm not sure what you mean by
> "make
> > sure you hashed your virtusertable to db"
> >

> sendmail does not reed the textfiles directly, is
> uses a database file you
> need to create from the textfiles.
> If you alter any file, say virtusertable, you need
> to issue the command
>
> makemap hash virtusertable.db < virtusertable
>
> With that, you create the new file sendmail will
> use.
> After that, restart sendmail and it will 'see' the
> modifications.
>
> > I have restarted sendmail as well.  When I send
> the
> > email it is still routing to the xyz.com host and
> not
> > the abc.com host.  I want to take the xyz.com host
> out
> > of the picture.  Should I remove it from my
> > mailertable and see what happens?
> >

> thats worth a try, if xyz is mentioned nowhere, and
> it still resolves to its
> own mx you should look further into possible dns
> issues.
>
> Bob.

I would like to explain my setup a little further.  I
have one sendmail server that relays (does not deliver
to local mail files on the server) to 2 seperate
domains/hosts.  The MX record for both domains
(abc.com and xyz.com) point to my one sendmail server
(one ip).  With that said, do you see any problems
(mail routing loops) using the virtusertable? for
example, in the virtusertable I would put:
lester at abc.com       lester at xyz.com