Restarting sendmail after config change ?

paddy paddy at PANICI.NET
Wed Nov 24 18:53:29 GMT 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 06:28:03PM -0000, Richard Curtis wrote:
> I am writing a script for adding hosted domains to our server.
> When I add a hosted domain, I need to add it to the sendmails virtusertable
> and local-host-names.
>
> I have tried to use /etc/init.d/MailScanner reload but this does not rebuild
> the virtusertable.db file.
>
> What is the correct way to do this ?

AFAIK MailScanner does not concern itself with virtusertable.

IIRC the /etc/init.d/MailScanner script that ships with MailScanner
does not offer a seperate reload_mta option.

I would suggest you look at your distro rc scripts for sendmail and
figure it out from there, but if you have a debian-style 1200 line
monster and you want a simple answer, then the traditional answer
*** for most programs *** would be 'HUP it', that is send the process
a HUP signal.  Typically this can be accomplished with something like:

kill -1 `head -n1 /var/run/sendmail.pid`

I imagine something like this works for sendmail too.

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall