virtusertable...

Steve Swaney Steve.Swaney at FSL.COM
Mon Nov 22 15:37:23 GMT 2004

Mark,

Can you setup a backend mail hub that will accept email for some users at
watchhog.net and I will configure the virtusertable to forward email to that
system for testing.

Is the MailWatch Database a bit smaller?

Thanks,

Steve Swaney

President

Fortress Systems Ltd.

www.fsl.com

 <mailto:steve.swaney at fsl.com> steve.swaney at fsl.com

  _____

Of Mark Pottage
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 6:40 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: virtusertable...

Thanks for your reply.

We have no domains on this server.  This server is purely for relaying
services.  We want certain addresses to be converted as follows.

user1 at abc.com to user1 at wxyz.com

So that mail arriving for user1 at abc.com is converted to user1 at wxyz.com and
relayed to the wxyz.com server not abc.com server.

If this is what you are doing can you send us config for configuration you
have done?

Is there any other configuration changes to make other than virtusertable?

We have checked that the below line is in the .mc file.

FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl

The only other entry we have is user1 at abc.com to user1 at wxyz.com which is in
the virtusertable file.

many thanks

Mark Pottage
Systems Administrator
Tel:       0870 411 7914
Mobile:  07740 578 647
Fax:       0870 163 9001
mark.pottage at selection.co.uk

>>> Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK 22/11/2004 07:43:50 >>>

Mark

The answer is "yes" to all your questions. I found all the information
that I needed in the O'Reilly "Sendmail" book and on the Sendmail web
site.

Our mail relays host addresses in 40+ domains and deliver to many mail
servers. Some of the domains are handled via mailertable and the rest by
virtusertable which has 94,000+ address entries. We use the version of
Sendmail distributed with RedHat AS 3.

What I did was set up a development mail relay on an on old Linux box.
It does not have to be very powerful since it will not carry a
production mail load. You can experiment with what you learn from the
book and then develop and test a production configuration on this
system.

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
                           University of Newcastle,
                           Newcastle upon Tyne,
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.
"Any opinion expressed above is mine. The University can get its own."