'DoD detected!' prohibits mailprocessing

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Nov 20 12:18:09 GMT 2004

Hartmut Goebel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hartmut Goebel schrieb:
>
>> Okay, we solved the problem. It was the Virus-DB which has not been
>

> Hallooed to early :-(
>
> We dropped in the quarantined messages to get them processed, and the
> same problem occurs again. But this time, if the virus-scanner get's
> called stand-alone, it works. (This has not been the case earlier.)
>
> Ths logfiles show 5 scanning-processes to be started, all of which
> start a virus-scanner. Scanner TImeout is 5 Minutes, and after these 5
> Minutes I get 5 'DoS detected' messages. 5 Minutes later the same and
> so on.
>
> There are no new 'Batch started' messages nor other messages like
> 'This message contined the DoS'.
>
> On this gateway, there is F-Secure running which is installed as
> described by the F-Secure installation manual. 'fsav' will be called
> with '--archive --mime--dumb --archive'. System is a RedHat Linux 9.
>
> Is there a way to find out which messages are currently processed
> (say: which messages cause the DoS)?
> What other information do you need for analyzing the problem?

After it gets the first DoS report, it goes through the messages in the
batch and scans them one by one to work out exactly which message called
the problem. So it does that for you already :-)
Take a look at the logs and hopefully it will tell you (2nd time round
on the batch) which message caused it. You might try running in Debug
mode so that it's easier to see what's going on, as then there will only
be 1 MailScanner process running.

--
Julian Field