Querying other SMTP server for valid addresses?

Garry Glendown garry at GLENDOWN.DE
Fri Nov 19 20:12:50 GMT 2004

Steve Swaney wrote:
> Yes, there is a way. If you use sendmail, you might want to look at
> milter-ahead.

Cool! Just what I as looking for!!!

> We have milter-ahead working with MailScanner and are just about through
> testing it.  It works.

Yup, took a moment to set it up, and after adding some "[]" to the
mailertable, it seems to work just as advertised ... ;)

> The only problem is Exchange. My experience is it that "out of the box",

Not only Exchange ... got at least one or two other products running at
customer sites (like Notes for example) that will accept anything, just
to send out a error message itself ... oh well ...

> specific MailScanner install notes and update the package.

I didn't seem to have to do anything special ... !?

> You might wonder about how efficient this method is and if it will slow down
> the delivery of email. I have a note from the author explaining that it

... I don't think that the queries are slower than later scanning every
message for being spam or a virus, then trying to deliver AND THEN
trying to get rid of the error message to the original sender (who might
not exist) ... also, some waiting time is preferable to CPU cycles ;)

-garry