255 retcodes in syslog

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Fri Nov 19 19:59:26 GMT 2004

Julian,

Weirdness with 4.35.11 plus latest Message.pm; this may be the cause
of my excess load.  I noticed a gob of the following in my syslogs
over the last day or so:

Nov 19 14:50:54 basalt <12>root: Process did not exit cleanly, returned
255 with signal 0

I found a couple of tnef files in my /var/spool/mqueue that should not
have been there.  I zapped them and ran MS in debug mode.  The end of
that output said:

syslog: expecting argument $format at
/opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/Log.pm line 140
255

The "MailScanner -v" output is attached and I can send you the entire
debug output if needed (518K).  The only other thing that I've done
lately (yesterday) was install dccifd for DCC, which seems to work
correctly.  I followed the MAQ, following the advice of:

http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/312.html

(Thanks Ugo and Tomar)

Advice please?

Jeff Earickson