'DoD detected!' prohibits mailprocessing

Hartmut Goebel h.goebel at GOEBEL-CONSULT.DE
Fri Nov 19 09:56:35 GMT 2004

Hi,

on one of the systems I'm in charage off, I get 'Denial Of Service
detected!' messages in the mail-log. Unfortunatly this seams to prohibit
all otehr MailScanning.

How can I find out, what the reason for this DoD is?

I already increased the "Virus Scanning Timeout" to 10 Minutes, but this
does not help. I also radically reduced 'Max Unsafe' and 'Max Unscanned
Bytes per Scan'. No change, except of smaller batches.

For me it does not look like MailScanner is scanning other messages
then. But I'm not sure. There is no log-entry about this, neither about
the files causing the DoD. MailScanner just says 'Scanner timed out' and
'Denial Of Service detected!', but nothing about new batches. When I
look at 'ps ax', I see that the Virus Scanner is started again (new
process ID), but nothing happens.

How can I find out what happens here?
How can I make MailScanner scan and deliver other messages, esp. the
small ones first?

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Schönen Gruß - Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel             | IT-Security -- effizient |
| h.goebel at goebel-consult.de | www.goebel-consult.de    |