specs & platform for new server

Peter Peters p.g.m.peters at utwente.nl
Fri Nov 19 07:58:46 GMT 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:38:07 +0000, you wrote:

>Thanks Martin and all the others. We are now leaning on your side: two
>smaller boxes. Load balancing, resilience and no more down-time sound
>good. And if we have two boxes, we don't see the need for RAID or
>redundant power supplies, etc. And we only need next day on-site service
>& support, don't we? Two boxes for the price of one looks like a great
>idea. The only downside is two boxes to configure instead of one.

The problem is not configuring the boxes but the installation of the OS
and later on the patching. I maintain three identical (in respect to
MailScanner) systems and use some scripts to update the other two. At
this moment I use one for configuration (and testing) and then copy all
configuration files over to the other systems. Depending on the need I
reload the configurations or let MS handle that in the 4 hour reload.

Two of the systems are on site and the third is on an other network. So
in case of an outage we still accept e-mail with full addresscheck and
MS capabilities.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)