specs & platform for new server

mikea mikea at MIKEA.ATH.CX
Thu Nov 18 15:47:55 GMT 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 12:34:33PM +0100, David Höhn wrote:

> Sylvain Phaneuf wrote:
> <snip>
> |
> | We don't want to spend more than 2,500 - 3,000 pounds if possible. We
> | are thinking of:
> | Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz with 1 MB L2 cache
> | 2 GB DDR2 RAM (400 MHz DIMMS)
> | RAID 1
> | Intel Gigabit NIC
> |
> <snip>
> for 35 000 to 50 000 messages that CPU Spec seems a bit too much in my
> humble opinion. You can do well with only a single Xeon and put more
> money into buying a very good RAID Controller.
>
> <advertisement mode>
> I can only recommend the IBM X-Series
> </advertisement mode>
>
> Most of the smaller Mailserver here run on xSeries 345 or 346 and we are
> quite happy with that and the ServeRAID controllers.
>
> Hope that helps

I second the xSeries recommendation. I have 3 xSeries 335, all 3.2 GHz
uniprocessors with 3 GB RAM and 2 73GB Ultra320 SCSI. One does the
inbound mail, one the outbound, and the third is on my desk as a
controller for the other two and as backup. The inbound server is just
loafing at ~16K inbound mails per day. As configured, each cost us
just about US$6600. I think each could handle > 150K mails per day,
more or less, and I may be on the low side.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin