specs & platform for new server

Sylvain Phaneuf sylvain.phaneuf at IMSU.OXFORD.AC.UK
Thu Nov 18 10:26:49 GMT 2004

Hi everyone,

Our 20 months old server is being a bit overworked and we are going to
buy a new box.

Could the experts out there help us a bit with suggestions. We would
like to know where to throw our money at. More memory, multuiple
processors?

We will use the box only as a mail gateway running MailScanner,
SpamAssassin, Sendmail, Sophos, MRTG and very little else. We don't need
to run any RBL checks as our ISP does it for us. We currently get
approx. 35,000 messages per day, and we expect that will increase to
possibly 50,000 in the next year or two. Currently we get somewhere
between 1 and 1.5 GB of mail per day.

We don't want to spend more than 2,500 - 3,000 pounds if possible. We
are thinking of:
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz with 1 MB L2 cache
2 GB DDR2 RAM (400 MHz DIMMS)
RAID 1
Intel Gigabit NIC

Finally, we are thinking of running the new box with SLSE (we are using
RH at the moment). Any problem with SuSE?

I will really appreciate your input. MialScanner is great, we love it,
our users love us!

Thanks in advance,

Sylvain

Sylvain Phaneuf --- Systems Manager   | phone : +44 (0)1865 221323
Clinical School Information Management Services Unit  (IMSU)
Medical Sciences Division
University of Oxford                                  |   email :
sylvain.phaneuf at imsu.ox.ac.uk
Room 3A25B John Radcliffe Hospital      |   fax :  +44 (0) 1865 221322
Oxford   OX3 9DU   England