SpamAssassin 3

Marco Benton marco at XSSNET.COM
Wed Nov 17 17:02:20 GMT 2004

Kyle Harris wrote:

>Now that SpamAssassin 3 has been out for a little while and several on this
>list have updated to it, I am curious.  What is the overall opinion as to
>whether or not it catches more spam than the old 2.63 version running with
>MailScanner?

i've had a few production SA 2.64 servers with oodles of extra rules and
it was SLOW but caught a huge percentage of spam...  after upgrading to
SA 3 i knocked down the number of rules (redundant) and found just a few
minor spam get through, but mail flows a little faster.

my opinion is 2.64 w/ the SURBL patch, all SURBL lists, and extra rules
from SARE does a great job.  but the rules from 2.6x are pretty
outdated, the SA 3 rules are more current...  so there's nothing wrong
with updating.