Issue Resolved

Dave Filchak dfilchak at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 11 04:15:14 GMT 2004

Just in case anyone else deals with the vacation program and thinks there
might be an issue with MailScanner:

As the people that replied said, "MailScanner" will not stop the auto
response message from being sent".

After Googling and not really clarifying much and searching the archives, I
finally got a tip (link) from Steve Swaney (thanks Steve). The instructions
were a bit clearer for my overworked brain and this got me going in the
right direction.

What my problem was, I misunderstood, how the vacation forward rules should
work.  For some of my email clients, we have a log in name and then an alias
in virtusertable to the log in name. So the rules I tried that did not work
and gave me an "unknown mailer" error were:

 \login_name, "|/usr/bin/vacation login_name"
\login_name, "|/usr/bin/vacation -a login_name"
\login_name, "|/usr/bin/vacation -a alias_name at domainname" (not sure why
this one did not work)

These all gave me an error. What worked was:

\login_name, "|/usr/bin/vacation -a alias_name at domainname login_name" Again,
this rule applies to a situation where you have usernames and then entries
in the virtusertable in Sendmail that point to these users.

I could have written it this way to set a different time interval between

\login_name, "|/usr/bin/vacation -a alias_name at domainname -r 3 login_name"
which would set the time interval to three days (default is 1 week).

Hopefully, if any other "relatively inexperienced" person on this list
thinks he or she has an issue with MailScanner and the dreaded vacation
program, hopefully this will help. Thanks to all who replied to me.

Dave