4.35.9: file command disabled?

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Tue Nov 2 14:56:02 GMT 2004

Julian,

I'm curious as to why you need to change the default.  It has been
"default off" for quite a while and those who want to use it (like me)
turn it on.  This puts in responsibility of having a working "file"
command in our laps.  I had just been puzzled by the change in the
MailScanner.conf file.

The quality of what "file" tells you is based on what the vendor (Sun
in my case) bothers to put into /etc/magic.  There were super-duper
/etc/magic files floating around on the Internet a few years ago that
could identify just about anything; a quick google didn't give me much
this morning.  Maybe you want to think about using "file -m yourmagicfile"
where you have an industrial strength magic file for MailScanner's use?

Jeff Earickson
Colby College