stuck with a real problem...

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Sat May 29 19:52:02 IST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 19:27, Dene Ulmschneider wrote:

> It seems that whenever I set the mailertable remake the mailertable.db - all
> of our mail gets sent back out to the net and ends up eventually timing out
> due to "too many hops" (hop count is 30)

So ...
Before you added exchange outgoing mail went to the smart host and
incoming mail got delivered locally on the RH box(?).  This worked
because the incoming mail was for local domains in class W, and the
smart host is ignored for local domains.

Now, you've added exchange to the mix and want to use mailertable to
forward to exchange.  This means that your domains are no longer in
class W.  So I guess what is happening is that the smarthost takes
precedence over the mailertable so all incoming mail gets sent out to
the smarthost and the smarthost does a lookup on the MX and sends them
back to your RH machine voila, mail loop!

I think you should be able to fix this by getting rid of the smarthost
and using a mailertable entry to achieve the smarthost function.  In
other words, comment out the smart host in the .mc file and rebuild the
cf then make a mailertable like this

yourdomain1.com         smtp:exchange.you.com
yourdomain2.com         smtp:exchange.you.com
.                       smtp:smarthost.yourisp.net

Don't forget to rebuild the mailertable db with this.

I'm not sure this will work but the sendmail docs suggest it will.  Good
luck!

Kevin

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk