Feature request : Dangerous Content Scanning option

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 27 21:33:15 IST 2004

At 20:51 27/05/2004, you wrote:
>On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 08:13:16PM +0100, Julian Field wrote:
> > How about we change your patch a bit.
> > In SweepContent.pm, do the "partial message" and "external bodies" checks,
> > then bail out if we aren't doing dangerous content checks. The reasoning
> > behind this is the partial message and external body checks directly affect
> > your ability to scan messages for viruses, and are therefore rather more
> > than just the other content checks. I would like the default behaviour to
> > be to check for partial messages and external bodies even if they switch
> > off the rather broad "Content Scanning" switch.

The new patches for SweepContent.pm and SweepOther.pm are attached.
The definition line in ConfigDefs.pl needs to be moved to the
[All,YesNo]
section, it shouldn't be in [First,YesNo].
Give them a try and let me know what you think.

As a mod for the conf file, I was thinking of adding it just about "Allow
Partial Messages".

# Do you want to scan the messages for potentially dangerous content?
# Setting this to "no" will disable all the content-based checks except
# Virus Scanning, Allow Partial Messages and Allow External Message Bodies.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Dangerous Content Scanning = yes

Does this all work okay?

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk