OT: Perl compatibility issue

Derek Winkler dwinkler at ALGORITHMICS.COM
Thu May 27 20:05:53 IST 2004

I run MailScanner on some Solaris systems.

Unforutnately I did not upgrade Perl before installing MailScanner, so I'm
running Perl 5.005_03.

I went to install Mail-SpamAssassin-SpamCopURI-0.18 and it complains about
bytes.pm not being available.

It wasn't available until Perl 5.6.

What I did was comment out "use bytes;" wherever it appeared in the code.

Do any Perl gurus know if this is OK?

I believe that use bytes is the default behaviour of Perl before 5.6.

make test ran clean.

Looking for confirmation before installing on a production system.

Thanks,

Derek Winkler
Security Administrator

Algorithmics