training spam assassin

Jan-Peter Koopmann Jan-Peter.Koopmann at SECEIDOS.DE
Thu May 27 10:46:46 IST 2004

On Thursday, May 27, 2004 11:26 AM Dawson, Alan <mailto:DawsonA at CHESTERFIELD.AC.UK> wrote:

> Has anybody got a pointers to a HOWTO get email out of
> outlook/exchange and into a file I can get Spam assassin to learn
> from ?

Search the archives. This has been discussed many many times. There are several methods. The best still seems to be to setup two public folders (e.g. SPAM and NOSPAM). This allows your users to copy/move mails to these public folders. On your SpamAssassin machine fetch the mails of these folders via IMAP and feed them to SpamAssassin sa-learn. This way you will have all the mail headers. Drawback: Exchange 2000 and 2003 convert all mails to HTML or Plain Text (depending on your Exchange settings). So the message body gets changed which is bad for SpamAssassin. Nevertheless it works.

Other methods involve your users sending the spam-mails to a special mailbox. A script then has to extract the original message and feed it to sa-learn. Drawback: You have to teach and constantly remind your users to send the mail (as attachment) and not to forward it.

Regards

Jan-Peter Koopmann
Dipl.-Wirtschaftsinformatiker
Senior Engineer