PDF Woes

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 27 09:00:51 IST 2004

The problem is caused by the fact that you should never send PDF docs as
quoted-printable. Quoted-printable is designed for files that are mostly
text, and in which the end of line sequence doesn't really matter.
MailScanner legitimately takes the attachment apart from the message, and
then has to rebuild the attachment on the message's way out. Following the
allowable end-of-line sequences in quoted-printable, a validly rebuilds the
attachment. Unfortunately this ends up changing the end-of-line sequenence
on one or two of the lines, which breaks the PDF file.

We did have a discussion about this a while ago. Look in the archives for
"PDF" appearing in the Subject:.

--
Julian Field

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk