MailScanner sends Invalid MIME headers?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue May 25 18:16:05 IST 2004

At 18:04 25/05/2004, you wrote:
>Alex
>
>sounds like the %org-name% in the MailScanner.conf as a '.' or someother
>illegal character in their.
>
>Not one of Symantecs products on the remote end is it? They are well
>known on this list for being pedantic about this issue in the headers.

"." is perfectly legal according to the RFC. It is a bug in Symantec
products that makes them refuse to accept header names with a "." in them.
They are simply wrong, not pedantic.

This is carefully described in the MailScanner.conf file, please read the
comment above the %org-name% definition line.

>--
>Martin Hepworth
>Snr Systems Administrator
>Solid State Logic
>Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300
>

>Alex Laslavic wrote:
>>Running MailScanner as an email gateway to the rest of our email system.
>>Works great, but I have received a complaint from other another email
>>sysadmin saying that our messages were being denied because of invalid MIME
>>headers.  They just whitelisted us.
>>
>>Now I have another company that cannot receive emails that are send through
>>mailscanner.  They do not know why, but I know that they do not receive our
>>messages.  However, if I send them a message from the same server, but not
>>through mailscanner, it seems to go through OK.
>>
>>Is there a known bug with mailscanner-4.29.7-1 that could be causing this?
>>Will upgrading to 4.30 help me?
>>
>>Any input is appreciated.  Unfortunately, the other mail admins did not
>>specify what they were using to scan.
>>

>>Using mailscanner-4.29.7-1 from RPM.
>>
>>Alex Laslavic
>>Havertys Tech Services
>>
>>-------------------------- MailScanner list ----------------------
>>To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
>>Before posting, please see the Most Asked Questions at
>>http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives at
>>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html

>the system manager.
>
>This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept
>for the presence of computer viruses and is believed to be clean.

>To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
>Before posting, please see the Most Asked Questions at
>http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives at
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html

--
Julian Field