SpamAssassin timed out

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Mon May 24 21:46:50 IST 2004

At 04:12 PM 5/24/2004, Eric Junker wrote:
>debug: RBL: success for 0 of 1 queries
>debug: RBL: timeout for rfci-dsn after 26 seconds
>debug: running meta tests; score so far=3.076
>debug: is spam? score=3.076 required=5
>tests=DATE_MISSING,DCC_CHECK,NO_REAL_NAME
>
>I assume this is why SA is timing out. How can I figure out why the RBL is
>timing out?

Start testing it using straight command-line DNS tools.

Running "host 2.0.0.127.dsn.rfc-ignorant.org" should return quickly with a
NXDOMAIN result.

Possible problems include:
         1) The DNSBL went down
         2) the hosting link for the DNSBL went down or is overloaded and
dropping packets
         3) any link between your ISP and the DNSBLs isp is down or
dropping packets and hasn't been rerouted yet.
         4) your network link is down or dropping packets
         5) your DNS server is down
         6) your /etc/resolv.conf contains entries for DNS servers which
aren't dns servers.

As several have suggested, if you're not running a caching resolver, I'd
suggest adding one. This greatly helps reduce DNS traffic.

It won't eliminate timeouts, but it can reduce load problems (helping with
the "dropping packets" cases of 2,3 and 4), and can cache successful
results for future queries if the failures are intermittent or just
extremely slow.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk