SpamAssassin: -notfirsthop for every RBL when acting as MX

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Mon May 24 20:37:04 IST 2004

Hi,

I posted this in the SpamAssassin list and noone answered (not even to tell
me I'm stupid and I don't know what I'm doing), so I'm posting this here to
see if some MailScanner+SpamAssassin wizard is able to help me.

We're having lots of FPs because of large ISPs having most of their dynamic
IPs RBL'd as open proxies and the like, since they don't filter ports and
lately, most every virus gets you a free open proxy...

Since this server doesn't have to handle direct user connections at all, I
was thinking about adding '-notfirsthop' to every eval:check_rbl() and
eval:check_rbl_sub(). (btw, does '-notfirsthop' work with check_rbl_sub()?
does this make sense?)

If I understand correctly, if a message is sent directly from an open proxy
to my server, I'd be checking it anyway, but if it properly relays thru
another server, then I'd be checking the relaying servers and not the
originating one...

If the relaying server(s) were open proxyies or open relays, then they
should also be RBL'd and they'd be hitting.

Is my reasoning and understanding correct?

Does anyone think I'm doing something very wrongly by doing this?

TIA

--
Mariano Absatz
El Baby